Hyderabad Builders Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) On Construction Materials

At Hyderabad Builders, we currently do not accept online payments such as credit cards or debit cards at the time of order placement. Once you place an order online, our team will confirm it via email and phone, and you can make a partial payment of 30% to process the order. After delivery, you can make the remaining 70%.

After placing your order online, our team will confirm and process it. You will receive a shipment notification via e-mail or SMS with the estimated date of delivery. Check the MY ORDER section in your Hyderabad Builders account for the current status of your order.

 We aim to deliver your products within 1–2 days. Please note that business days exclude public holidays and Sundays.

If you wish to cancel your order, please write to us at info@hyderabadbuilders.in with your cancellation request.

 As we do not currently accept online payments, there is no need for credit card or debit card transactions during the order placement process. You can make a partial payment of 30% after the order is placed via cheque or UPI, and the remaining 70% after receiving the delivery. You can also visit our office to ensure payment.

At Hyderabad Builders, we take great care to ensure that all products are thoroughly checked before dispatch. However, in the rare event that you receive a damaged product, we offer a replacement service. Please follow these steps:

  • Notification: Immediately notify our team about the damage by contacting us via WhatsApp +91 9292246289 or email : info@hyderabadbuilders.in
  • Photographic Evidence: Provide photographic evidence of the damaged product, including the packaging.
  • Replacement Process: We will assess the damage and, if eligible, initiate the replacement process. The redelivery time is subject to the availability of the product.

The cut-off time for order placement at Hyderabad Builders is 16:00 (4:00 PM) IST. Orders received after this time will be processed on the next business day. Please ensure that you place your order before the cut-off time to avoid any delays in processing.

To initiate a return, please contact our customer support team at info@hyderabadbuilders.in with your order details. Conditions and any associated costs can be found in our return policy.

 You can check the current stock status of a product on its product page. Unfortunately, we currently do not provide notifications for out-of-stock items.

A: We take your privacy seriously. Please review our Privacy Policy for detailed information on how we handle your personal information and ensure secure transactions.

A: Yes, you will receive a tracking number via email or SMS after your order is processed. Use this number to track your shipment in real-time.

Our customer support team is available from Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. IST. You can reach us at

 A: We do accept custom orders. To place a custom order or make a special request, please contact our sales team at info@hyderabadbuilders.in.

A: Yes, we offer discounts for bulk orders. For inquiries about bulk purchases, please email us at info@hyderabadbuilders.in.

A: Some of our products come with warranties. Details of the warranty terms and conditions can be found on the product page or in our Warranty Information  90% of the products displayed on our website are from our partner manufacturers. if you have issues related to warranty, you can contact our partner vendors the contact information and warranty details will be furnished at the time of delivery 

A: Yes, we offer subscription services for select products for builders, as they have regular requirements. For retail users currently, there is no subscription plan if your a builder, you can contact us via email at info@hyderabadbuilders.in or by phone at +91 9392246289. You can manage or cancel your subscription through your account settings on our website.

 A: To create an account, click on the “My account” link on our website. You can update your account information, including your shipping address, in the account settings.

Technical support is available for specific products. For assistance, please contact our technical support team at support@hyderabadbuilders.in.

 A: Yes, we have a community or forum on our website. You can participate, ask questions, and share experiences by joining our community here.

A: We welcome collaborations and partnerships. For inquiries, please reach out to our partnerships team at partnerships@hyderabadbuilders.in.

You can write an email to info@hyderabadbuilders.in for detail, or you can contact us on WhatsApp at +91 9392246289) for quick response